How to: point at first element
With Inline Manual, you can assign a step to a particular element or set of elements within your application, like a button, a form field, or even a link inside your menu. Assigned steps are interactive and can have multiple triggers and end-points. By default when you create a step, it is not assigned to any element of your application - it appears in the middle of the screen. To quickly assign one element, you can use the Step Options Panel in the Authoring tool. If you want to assign more elements to one step, you need to use the Elements panel. We write about the Elements panel here, and the Step Options Panel here.
In this article, we’ll describe the point at first element feature available in the Elements panel, so you can use it to the maximum.
The Elements panel appears in the Authoring tool when you create and edit steps of your walkthroughs and tooltips.
To open the Elements panel:
- In the Authoring tool, while you’re editing or adding a walkthrough or a tooltip, select a step from a list of steps or click “+” to create a new one.
- Scroll down to the Elements panel and expand the tab. Now, you see the Elements panel.
By default, when you have multiple elements selected, the popover will point at the bounding box of all of the elements together. With “point at first” feature, you have the ability to choose what element your popover will point at.
To set up Point at first:
- Switch turn on/off button.
- Once it’s turned on, you will see that the step is pointing at the first found element from the list of elements you have selected.
- Click Assign button to choose another element. This will help you to assign a step to the specific element on the page, but keep the other elements highlighted and active.
In our example, it looks like this:
You can also use point at first feature when you want to select multiple cells in a column/table but still point to the top one.
With point at first ON, you can choose a top cell to point at.
This is especially useful when you have many cells assigned. Do you use this feature in a cool way? Start a chat with us and tell us more!