How to: make a walkthrough always start from a certain url
There may be instances that you want the walkthrough to start from a certain URL. For example, the walkthrough is available in the widget no matter what page the user is on, but you want it to launch only from the specific page. This is also useful when the tour that you create will jump from one page to another in your application.
In this article, we will show you how to set it up.
Setting up an URL
Navigate to your application or website.
Open the authoring tool and choose the desired walkthrough.
- Within the authoring tool, edit the first step and scroll down to the Misc panel.
- In the Path section, set the path. The path should be relative to your site URL. For example, if you want to redirect your user to "http://exampleapp.com/dashboard", enter “dashboard” into the Path.
When the first step is active, the Inline manual player will check if the user is on the dashboard page and if not, the user will be redirected there.
Relative vs. Absolute Paths
The path you add in the step settings can be a relative or absolute path, and you can choose which one to use. It will be helpful to know what's the difference between them.
· Absolute Path is the full path of your site. We recommend using this path if you want a specific step to launch in an exact URL.
· Relative Path, on the other hand, can be used if you have multiple sites. Let’s say your site has both a development version and a production version. In this case, your development URL is dev.example.com. If you are doing a tutorial on the development version and you used an absolute path such as dev.example.com/dashboard, you would cause a problem. Once the topic is updated in the production version, the users will still be redirected to dev.example.com/dashboard. Instead, using a relative path (“dashboard”) will give you the flexibility of playing the topic on the right path without checking the domain.
If your step is redirecting you to the wrong or non-existing page:
Go to Inline Manual portal -> navigate to Sites > choose the correct Site > go to Settings > and Site Details. Check if the URL indicated there has a path after the domain. For example: https://www.example.com/dashboard If the URL you want the step to redirect to is https://www.example.com/dashboard/profile/settings you can either:
· Remove the path and retain the domain on the URL and use the full path in the Misc panel of the step: dashboard/profile/settings or · Retain the path on the URL and use the remaining path in the Misc panel: profile/settings
You can use the absolute path if you prefer, but we would recommend using the relative path, especially if you have staging sites or subdomains.