With tagging, you can quickly tag chosen users and use those tags later on as a parameter to create a particular segment. You can tag users that are already tracked within the People tab either within a tab itself or with a file. Use tags to better segment your users and target them more accurately. Tags are great for highlighting and targeting specific customers - they should be specific to your product. You can use tags not only to create specific segments but also when you’d like to exclude certain users from a segment. We're sure you'll find them useful!
In this article, you'll learn how to create tags and how to tag users.
How to add a tag
- Go to the People tab. To add a tag, click People tags on the left side of the screen.
- You'll be redirected to the People tag settings page. You can add here new tags, remove the existing ones, and see how many free slots you have left for tags.
- Click Create new tag button to add a new tag.
- Provide a tag and Save changes. Note that only alphanumeric characters with underscore and dash are supported.
- You'll see your added tag on the list along with the name of the user who created it. You'll also see the number of available slots left. Currently, you can add up to 20 tags.
- To remove a tag, hover over the tag and click Remove button.
How to tag a user in the People tab
- While in the People tab, select specific users and click Tag selected users button. The button will be disabled if you don't have any tags added.
- You'll see a modal window where you can select a tag from existing tags.
Save changes by clicking Tag users button.
You'll see that users have now added tags.
- You can also see tags on the user's profile page.
Now, with tagged users, you can create a segment with tags as parameters. Follow the instructions here to learn how to create a segment.
To remove tags from the users, select desired users and click Remove tags.
To get started, you'll need a file (CSV, XLSX or TXT formats only) with e-mails or UIDs of the users you want to tag. The Inline Manual will read only the first column of the document, the other columns will be ignored.
These users should already be under the People tab as you're not importing users, just tagging them. Currently, you can only tag users based on e-mail or UID values. If you are going to use emails, the email has to be shared with Inline Manual as part of the email field in the People tracking. If the users do not match the profile (they are not under People tab already), they won't be tagged.
You can download example files here:
- Now, when you have a file, while in the People tab, click Tag users button and choose "Tag from external data". The button will be disabled if you don't have any tags added.
- You'll see a modal window when you can upload a file (5MB maximum).
- Then, select a data type that's in the file - e-mail or UID.
- Finally, select tags and click "Tag users".
- You will see the notification that the task is in progress, and the confirmation when the task is finished.
- Once the task is finished, you can filter out users with tags by adding parameters. In the parameter, you should use the full tag.
Tags can be used for a variety of purposes. Here are some ideas:
- Auto launch a message about a feature the user has mentioned during a sales call - data exported from sales (CRM) application.
- Auto launch a message with a discount code based on users' previous activity - data exported from an analytics application.
- Auto launch a message to users who attended your webinar while it's still fresh in their mind - data exported from conferencing application.
- Reduce churn by targeting users based on health score and showing them what else they can do within the product - data exported from customer success tracking application.