Segmentation is a powerful feature that allows you to create specific segments of users, based on the data you send to us. Then you are able to target those users based on their segment and launch a topic that is most relevant to their needs or display relevant content within the widget based on the segments and who the user is.
In this article, we’ll briefly discuss the segmentation feature.
How to use segmentation?
Segmentation can be accessed via People tab under each Site in Inline Manual portal. From there, you can easily create a new segment or edit an existing one, such as the default New users segment.
Take a look at these articles to further deepen your knowledge:
- To learn how to create and manage segments, go here.
- To learn how to show topics within the widget only to specific segments, go here.
When to use segmentation?
Segmentation allows you to group users into behavioral segments so that you can send them the right messages. For example, if users are not using a specific feature of your application, add them in your application to a group (send us this info via metadata), then target this group with a rule (create a new segment in Inline Manual). When they log in next time, launch a tutorial just for them, to let them know about that feature they are not using. Show them how it works. Maybe they are just not aware of it? With segmentation, you can build and launch topics that are really relevant for your users.
- Show a welcome message only to new users. Use automation to launch the message automatically. See how to launch a tutorial for new users.
- Show a message only for users with the "administrator" role on your site. Filter out topics from within the widget, and show specific topics only for your administrators. You can do that if you are sending us role information. See more about people tracking.
- Play a guide to users who have missed a feature. Send us information about your users, for example, a group managed in your application, via people tracking. Then target this group with a rule. When they log in next time, they will see a relevant tutorial.
- Make announcements to specific segments of users based on their behavior.
Don't forget to check most popular use cases.
How to: manage segments
Targeting users - use cases
Show topics within the widget only to specific segments
How to: create a welcome message
How to: announce new features