Gathering users feedback is necessary to improve customer experience and provide value. But getting reliable user feedback is hard. Click rates on emails are already low, and when users get to the feedback survey the response rates are even lower. With Inline Manual, you can send NPS and feedback surveys to your customers right within your application. Sending the NPS survey with Inline Manual takes just a few steps. The survey is flexible, just like articles and walkthroughs. All the data is tracked and logged within the portal.
In-app NPS surveys are a great way to measure your customers’ sentiment towards your company in context. This improves your response rate and the quality of feedback. It is especially useful when you want to send a survey just after your users interacted with a specific feature.
In this article, we’ll show you how to set up the NPS survey and when to do it.
Enable the Beta Player
NPS feature is currently in BETA (in Standard Pro and Enterprise plans).
To enable the Beta Player:
Login to Inline Manual portal with your e-mail and password.
Go to Sites and choose the desired site.
- Go to the Settings tab.
- Go to the Player version tab.
- Check if there's a BETA version available to be enabled.
- Save changes.
Read more about the Beta Player here.
When to send the NPS survey in-app
You can add as many NPS surveys as you need for your site, and customize questions. Although the main question “On a scale of 0 to 10, how likely are you to recommend our product to a friend?” will be the same, you may want to ask different follow-up questions to different groups of users. For example, you may ask your users who are with you eg. only a month what problem they want to solve with your product and why they chose you. Whereas, you may ask your long-time customers about some specific features, or what annoys them with your tool. Of course, your segments will depend on your product, use case and expectations.
Here are some examples of how you can use it:
· Prompt users to complete an NPS survey right from the Widget.
· Launch the survey after an interactive walkthrough with a custom button or a trigger.
· Automatically display the survey in your application with an autolauncher.
· Show it to specific segments only.
· Place a tooltip or hotspot that will launch a survey once clicked.
And here are some quick tips of how to run it successfully:
· Show the survey only to a specific segment of users. For example, you may want to target only paying users and exclude those on a free trial. Make sure that the group is large enough to give you meaningful results.
· Avoid spamming your users with too many pop-ups at the same time. Check if there are any other ongoing campaigns before sending the survey.
· Imagine you want to send a follow-up survey to track changes over time. With autolaunchers, you can schedule publishing and expiration dates to avoid confusion and mistakes.
· Don’t overdo it. If you cannot handle responses efficiently, maybe you’re sending the survey too often? Don’t ask the same customers for their ratings each month.
· Don’t forget to customize the survey to match your brand’s look and personality.
After sending your NPS survey, focus on your customer’s feedback and address their issues. Your score will improve along the process. It won’t happen overnight, but if you keep surveying your users and actively working on their experience with your product, you will see the results. NPS is all about the listening.
How does the NPS feature work?
The NPS survey is a flexible piece of content, just like articles and walkthroughs. You can add as many NPS surveys as you need for your site, and customize the question. Like other topics, NPS survey appears in the widget by default. You can decide to show the survey only when users are in a certain part of your app or push it to the top of the list with a context path. You can also add a link to the NPS survey in the widget’s footer. Alternatively, you can hide it and decide when it should appear with triggers, by adding a custom button to your walkthrough, step launcher, article, or by playing it automatically to specific segments of users.
Users choose from the ten-point scale which appears below your question content. It shows number from 1 to 10. After they select the item on the scale, the form prompts users to Tell us more in a single text field.
Then users see a thank you message.
You can add as many NPS forms as you need, and get the measure of sentiment across your user base.
How to set up an NPS survey
To create the NPS survey:
- Open the Authoring tool, choose the correct site and click the Create button.
- Choose a topic type - NPS and fill in the required fields.
Confirm adding the topic with the Create topic button.
Customize your survey, add text, logo or a nice image.
When the scale number button is clicked, it is taking the style of the buttons under Player Appearance settings. You can read more about customization here.
- You can add also a backdrop and animations. You can read more about the Backdrop here and about animations here.
- To change the survey width or to set up a path use the Misc panel. Find out more about the Misc panel here.
- If you want to attach the survey to a hotspot or a tooltip, set up a launcher. Launchers appear in your application as small icons such as tooltips, hotspots or simply buttons with short text. You can read more about launchers here.
For example, you can set up a launcher with a short text "Take a survey". In Launcher context tab, you can check to show the launcher only to users who did not provide the rating yet.
- Customize default messages. In Inline Manual portal, go to Sites -> Choose the correct site -> Go to the Settings tab -> Go to the Player languages tab > Edit the language -> Scroll down to the NPS section and change the text for the default messages.
- Choose when or how it should appear. For example, with segmentation the NPS topic can appear in the widget only to a selected segment of users. With segmentation and automation, you can play the NPS survey automatically to specific users. With custom buttons, you can link the survey in other topics, for example, walkthroughs or articles.
Additional feature for NPS autolaunchers
When setting up an autolauncher for NPS, you will see an option to check Play only if NPS wasn't provided. if checked, the autolauncher will continue launching for users who didn't give you score. For example, if you set up the autolauncher to launch multiple times, with eg. an interval of 24 hours, it is likely to receive a response second or third time.
You can allow users to dismiss the pop-up with Allow users to dismiss this autolaunched Topic option. When checked, this autolauncher won't appear for these users ever again. However, many of our customers add a custom button eg. "Remind me later" to allow users to close the popup (deactivate the topic), but in this case, the autolauncher will play again after the setup period of time.
How to review the results
You can see the results as they come in the Inline Manual portal.
- Within the Inline Manual portal, go to Sites and choose the correct site.
- Go to the NPS tab.
- If there are replies to your survey, you will see them. If not, you will see a message that there’s no data yet.