How to: enable the checklist
Use the checklist to boost users’ activation and retention. With Inline Manual, you can show a list of selected topics for your users to complete. As users complete tasks or read articles, items will be marked off the list, and users will see their progress. You can set up the checklist and start increasing your user engagement just in a few minutes. In this article, we’ll show you how to set up a checklist.
The checklist requires people tracking enabled. Read how to enable people tracking here.
Enable the checklist:
Login to Inline Manual portal with your e-mail and password.
Go to Sites and choose the site you want to enable the checklist for.
- Go to the Settings tab.
- Go to the Player Settings tab and scroll down to the Checklist section.
- Enable checklist. When you do, the checklist settings appear.
Configure the checklist:
- Set up the checklist position - in which corner of the screen should the checklist appear?
- As users complete tasks or read articles, items will be marked off the list. Decide if you want to hide the checklist when all topics are completed or you want to leave a checklist with items crossed.
- Decide if you want to Allow user to dismiss the checklist (Only in BETA version). Your users would be able to close the checklist without completing the walkthroughs. Please, note that once the user dismisses the checklist it will not appear again to that user. To reset the checklist dismiss go to app.inlinemanual.com > sites > choose site > people > click on UID > scroll down and click on Reset checklist dismiss.
- Choose the checklist type.
· Normal means users will see all of the topics, and they can complete them in any order.
· Linear means they will see all of the topics, but they can only complete them in sequence.
Identify topics to appear in the checklist:
- While in Inline Manual portal, go to the Site tab and click on the topic you want to add to the checklist.
- Add a new tag: "checklist" in the topic’s settings.
- Repeat adding a tag “checklist” to all topics you want to appear in your checklist.
You can change the order the topics appear in the list, by reordering them on a topic list under a site. Simply drag and re-order the topic list, such as you do for the widget.
You don’t see the topic under the site? You can quickly assign it to the site.
Change the title, add a description
While in Inline Manual portal, go to the Sites tab.
Choose the correct site and go to the Settings tab.
Go to the Player languages tab.
- Edit the language.
- Scroll down to the Checklist section and make relevant changes.
- Confirm changes with the Save button.
It's not possible to assign a segment to a checklist, however, the checklist respects segments assigned to topics (set through Available to).
For example, if you assign a topic to a segment "New Users" and then you add it to the checklist, only this segment will see a topic and the checklist. Another example, if you have 2 topics in the checklist assigned to 2 different segments - the users will see different checklists based on their segments. If a user doesn't have access to any of the topics with the tag checklist, the checklist won't display. This way you can target different groups of users with your checklist and topics.
People like having a sense of completion. A checklist gives users a chance to complete what is most important. A checklist makes it easier to create an onboarding task list for new users. It’s also handy for training, so users don’t have to rely on an external system to see what they need to get done. A checklist can also help you break down larger tasks, so you can avoid long walkthroughs.
Let’s say you want to show new users how to get started with an onboarding checklist. You can make the checklist visible/hidden based on topics' segments, for example, if you create a segment that will include only new users, you can then assign desired topics to this segment and add the checklist tag. The topics (and the checklist) will be visible only for new users. For users that are not a part of this segment, the checklist won't appear.
You can read more about segmentation here.