Actions are a time-saver as they allow you to skip a step or branch in a walkthrough based on what the user sees on the page and fill in an assigned field on behalf of the user. With an autofill action, you can streamline the user journey and prepare content for them on the fly. This way, you can advance a tour by automatically populating text boxes in your product. You can set this up right in the Authoring Tool while creating a step. In this article, we'll cover the autofill feature. We described click and content actions in this article.
To add an autofill action
The Actions panel appears in the Authoring Tool when you create and edit your walkthroughs and tooltips.
To open the Actions panel:
- In the Authoring tool, while you're editing or adding a walkthrough or a tooltip, select a step from a list of steps or click "+" to create a new one.
- Scroll down to the Actions panel and expand the tab. Now, you see the Actions panel.
- Click + Autofill
- Add a phase. Select whether Inline Manual will execute the action Before step is activated or After step is activated. If Before a step is activated, Inline Manual will perform the action before the step is activated. For After the step is activated, Inline Manual will execute the action after the step has been activated.
- Assign element. Click the assign element button and hover over your application to select the desired element. The Authoring Tool will select the most specific combination of CSS selectors, and the default option is usually the best. However, to manually set the selector, click Expert to edit. To read more about assigning elements, go here.
- Provide the value you want to fill in the assigned element with.
- Save changes.
Well done! You've created an action! To add a next one, follow the instruction above.