Folders in Inline Manual
With folders, you can group topics within the Inline Manual widget. They help your end-users see your topics organized and separate. When you have a lot of topics within the widget, it may be hard to use. It is a good time to think about the structure. You can treat folders as categories. Defining the titles of folders is up to you and up to your specific use cases. They should make sense both to your users and to you.
In this article, we’ll discuss how folders work.
Organizing your content in folders
Each topic can be placed in a folder or does not have to be assigned to any folder at all. It’s possible to place a folder within a folder, but you can add only one folder to the other folder. It is not possible to place multiple folders within one folder.
The structure within the widget can be:
- - Topic
To add a folder:
- Within the Authoring tool, click + create to add a new topic.
- Choose the folder topic type, fill in the required fields and confirm adding a folder with the Create topic button.
You can add a topic to a folder in 2 ways.
To add a topic to a folder in the Authoring tool:
- Within the Authoring tool, open the topic you want to add to a folder.
- Click the Manage button.
- Choose the folder you want to add the topic to and confirm changes with the Save button.
To add a topic to a folder in Inline Manual portal:
Login to Inline Manual portal with your e-mail and password.
Go to Sites and choose the desired site.
- On the list of topics, you’ll see a drop-down menu next to each topic that allows you to select a folder. Upon selecting the folder, it will save automatically.
To place a folder within a folder:
- While in Inline Manual portal go to Sites and choose the desired site.
- On the list of topics, you’ll see a drop-down menu next to each folder that allows you to select * the main folder.* Upon selecting the folder, it will save automatically.
The widget respects the order that is set in the Topics tab.
If topics are above the folder they are in, they will still be visible in the folder within the widget and then they will be sorted by global position on site’s topics list. You can drag and drop the topics and folders on that page to define the right order. Read more about order within the widget.
You can make the folder visible or hidden with the visibility option. Note that it will also hide the topics that are placed within this folder. The launchers and auto launchers will still work for the end-users.
You can define which segments can see your folder. If the folder is visible to a segment that the user doesn't belong to, not just the folder will be hidden to them, but also the topics that are within. Please see show topics within the widget to specific segments only.
With Filter by context, you can decide to display folders only to users who are in a specific part of your app.
You can read more about it here.
Folders are using the same multilingual options as other topics. You can translate folders by using the language feature within the Authoring tool. Please see language management. Folders don’t have any steps or other content except title and description (that is not being shown anywhere).