How to: create custom step templates
Consistency is important to make sure your users don't feel lost. With Inline Manual, you are in total control over the look and feel of your guides with the design tools and custom CSS. Additionally, with custom step templates, you can get consistent branding no matter who is creating the content. In this article, we’ll show you how to create your own custom step templates.
How to create a custom step template
Go to your site/application and open the Authoring tool.
Choose the desired site and click Templates in the upper menu.
- Click + Create.
- Provide template’s name and description.
Click the Add template button.
You will see a step template editor.
· use the WYSIWYG editor to, for example, add images, videos, links, or custom buttons,
· add title, navigation buttons, or progress bar,
· specify the width of the template (the height will adjust automatically based on the step’s content),
· switch on the backdrop,
· add custom class if you’re using CSS
- After creating the template, confirm adding a template with the Save button.
The templates you created will be available in the step templates list when you’re creating a step.
When to use custom step templates?
Create custom step templates to be sure your interactive walkthroughs are seamless and consistent with your own branding. With custom step templates, you can create templates for your authors to use as starting points.
Here are some ideas:
· a popular pattern is a coach screen, which works like a slideshow. You can set a default look for these screens, and your designers can quickly add in images and text,
· you may want to make informational steps different than steps which prompt users to take an action,
· make a template for on-the-fly support tutorials which include a footer link to your support portal,
· prepare scheduled downtime/maintenance announcement to inform your customers in advance,
· make a template for webinar invitations or announcements to make sure your users will join.