With autolaunchers, you can automatically launch topics for specific types of users. Autolaunchers will launch once after the rule or segment is met. For example, you can use this feature to launch a topic only to new users, with a segment based on a rule about the account creation time.
In this article, we’ll discuss the autolauncher feature.
Before you create an autolauncher
In order to play your guides and messages automatically, you need to follow these requirements:
If you have that covered, proceed to create an autolauncher.
To create an autolauncher:
- Login to Inline Manual portal with your email and password.
- Go to Sites and choose a site you want to create an autolauncher for.
- Go to Automation tab.
- Click + Create new autolauncher to add an autolauncher.
- It will open a form that you need to fill in with relevant data. Choose a topic that you want to apply to an autolauncher.
- Define your audience. Start with deciding if all rules have to be met (and) or just some of them (or). Then, you can choose an already existing segment. But you can also add additional parameters. You can add up to 20 parameters.
You'll see a preview of a list of your users. Please note that a new user will appear in the database of Inline Manual within 2-3 minutes.
- Now, you can add user environment rules. You can add Element and Current URL rules with AND/OR conditions. You can add multiple parameters, eg. you can add a parameter targeting specific element and a parameter with the current URL rule. Please remember, that the autolauncher will launch only if all of these conditions are met.
Within the Element rule, you need to manually provide a CSS selector of the element.
Within the URL rule, you need to provide a part of the URL or the whole URL.
- Choose a number of plays - how many times the autolauncher should play the selected topic. By default, the autolauncher is set to play only once. If you want to launch the autolauncher several times, enter the specific number. If you want to play it again and again, enter 0.
- With Play again after, you can set up autolauncher to play topic multiple times. This setting allows you to set a minimum time interval to start the topic again. If you set it to 24 hours, the autolauncher will launch again after the 24 hours interval.
- Check play only if topic wasn't completed. Checking this option (checked by default) will make the autolauncher play only if it wasn't completed (the user didn't go through the whole walkthrough to the end).
- You can also check Allow users to dismiss this autolaunched topic. Choosing this option allows your users to opt out from the autolaunched topic. If the user has chosen to dismiss the autolaunched topic, the topic will not be launched automatically in the future whether the user has completed the topic or not.
Now if you want to, you can take advantage of advanced activation rules.
- You can select a language. The autolauncher will activate only when InlineManualOptions.language is set to appropriate language code (ISO 639-1 code e.g. en for English).
- You can select a device. The autolauncher will activate only on particular device category. Choose from All, Mobile or Desktop.
- You can also set up URL Match. Please note that if you set up rules above in the User environment, you don't need to set up the URL match again here. User environment settings give you more flexibility as you can create multiple rules with AND/OR conditions and add element visibility to that too.
- Pattern - Launcher is activated only when URL matches this pattern. Enter absolute URL with * as a wildcard: e.g. ://.example.com/*, :///some/path, :///?aa=&bb=123#xxx
- Match (regex) - enter regular expression that should match
- Not match (regex) - enter a regular expression that should not match
- With scheduled publishing, you can set up auto-publishing and auto-expiration dates.
- If all set confirm adding an autolauncher with the Create button.
- Create and deactivate button means that your autolauncher will be created, but inactive (paused). You can use this feature for creating "drafts".
When to use autolaunchers?
With autolaunchers, you can play your walkthroughs and messages automatically.
Use autolaunchers to:
- Welcome new users with a special one-time message
- Tell returning users about your new features
- Target key clients with invitations and offers
- Notify customers about upcoming changes
- Send personalized messages based on user behavior
- In some cases, you may want to reset the statistics collected by the autolauncher.
- Check the autolauncher troubleshooting guide to determine why the autolauncher is not working on the current page.
How to: create a welcome message
How to: announce new features
How to: reset statistics of the autolauncher
Topic aren't launching automatically - autolauncher troubleshooting