The Authoring tool only works on Google Chrome, but your users can use any browser to play your content.
To create walkthroughs in Inline Manual, you need to install the authoring tool in your Chrome browser.
Click Here to add the authoring tool as a Chrome extension.
The authoring tool is used for creating all content, but it won’t play until the player is installed on your site. The Inline Manual player is the main application that will display all content that you create such as walkthroughs, tooltips, articles, and the widget. The player (consisting of short JS code) can be set up in several ways depending on your preferences. In most cases, it’s a one-time installation - you don’t need to worry about any changes you make to your guides, they update automatically. Here is the installation tutorial.
You will work with the authoring tool to add and edit the content of your topics.
How to use the Authoring tool
- First, log-in to your Inline Manual portal with your e-mail and password.
- Now, go to your application, the one you want to create a topic (any content created within Inline Manual) for.
- Enable the authoring tool in your browser. Click the Inline Manual icon placed on the right side of the address bar. It will open the authoring tool on the left side of your screen.
If you want to move the authoring tool to the right side of your screen or make it wider, use buttons in the top right corner:
- Now you can start creating the topic. If you’re using the Authoring tool for the first time, click + Create Site and provide the required information. Confirm with the Create site button. If you already have some sites created, simply choose the desired one.
- When you build your first topic, you will see a message that there are no topics added to your site. Click + Create new to add the first topic.
When you already have topics added, you can create a new one by clicking + Create in the menu.
- Choose the desired topic type and fill-in the required fields.
- Title - the title of your guide. It will be also visible to the end-user in the widget.
- Owner - you can select the owner of the topic if you work with a team. By default it will show your account.
- Visibility in the widget - choose hidden if you don’t want to show the topic immediately to your users. Remember, that in order to show any topic created, the Inline Manual player needs to be implemented.
- Privacy - it’s within Inline Manual portal, privacy settings won't affect your users.
- Language - select a language of this topic.
- Description - enter a description, what is this topic about.
- Confirm adding the topic with the Create topic button.
Now, depending on the topic type, you can continue with adding steps or content of your article.